Thursday, December 16, 2010

Scope

Well I had the scope yesterday. We were panicking because it was snowing - hard - and we were trapped in crawling traffic. If you arrive less than an hour before your appointment, they not only cancel it but you need to go through another referral to get a new one. We did eventually arrive barely on time though.

I explained to the admitting nurse that I was nervous, because the preparation letter I'd received said that people with a less-reactive gag-reflex would be given local anaesthetic. Naturally, I wanted none of this - if you're going to do a 6-ft enteroscope instead of a regular gastrocope, I'm going to want a sedative! She reassured me though that it's only for people who don't WANT the sedative.

They brought me in on time, but I had to wait in the procedure room for another 1/2 hour as they completed another scope in the next room. When the doctor came in he realised that they'd prepared for a regular scope - there was only a gastroscope and no pain medication in the room. I also explained that I had once before woken up during a scope when the medication wore off unexpectedly. While the dug up the other scope then, they gave me the medication in time for it to work before. That's the last thing I remember!

I'm guessing Sean walked in and got me, I don't really recall, nor do I remember the drive home although I DO remember going into the gas station, but not leaving there or how I go onto the couch. We watched a movie, and fell asleep for a few hours while Sean went out and got some things. This recovery was a little more painful, although they took a very large number of biopsies and warned me it would be.

Today I still feel sore-ish, and after gathering up some laundry and putting it on, and tiding the living room I feel totally exhausted again. I'm glad I took tomorrow off as well, and that my first two shifts are weekend days (which tend to be calmer and slower moving).

I've already started cutting back on gluten where I can, and can add PatsyPie biscotti to the list of very edible GF foods I've found. It's amazing how far some things have come in the last few years, since I last went GF.

No comments:

Post a Comment