Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Starting Out

I decided to start a blog again, to try and document my adventures through trying to become gluten-free again.

I've had stomach problems for years, as well as things like joint pain, severe fatigue, migraines, and clumsiness.

Back in 2005-2006 they did blood tests which showed I had celiac antibodies. I went GF for awhile (though not particularly well, since I had no instructions on how best to do it and no dietitian follow-up) and didn't feel any better. I went back on gluten, and then had a gastroscope and biopsy. No damage was shown, so they assumed I didn't have celiac disease. I went on with life as usual, still feeling generally horrid.

Then I finally managed to see an internist again a few weeks ago. Many advances had been made in celiac research since then, and a new form of celiac - latent celiac - had been described. I fit into that category. This is someone who has antibodies in the bloodstream and other known celiac symptoms, but no damage is seen on biopsies. This may change, as I have a scope tomorrow to check again.

At any rate, I need to go gluten-free (GF) in order to prepare for us having children. The antibodies in a non-GF celiac's blood can cause miscarriages, low birth weight, early births, and other problems. Being GF may also help in preventing the baby from developing celiac disease.

I had an appointment today with a dietitian which was very helpful. She's GF as well due to an intolerance. I had originally gone to the local Sobey's, which someone had told me had a large GF section.

It consisted of 3 little shelves. I cried in the grocery store. It didn't help that the clerk treated me like I was a hippy freak.

The dietitian told me to check out the Sav-on foods instead, which had a MUCH larger array of products which looked really nice. One of the things I'm going to go over in posts is how the food tastes.

I went out after buying the food and bought a label-maker and new containers to put the GF food in. I will be going totally GF after New Year's, so I'm trying to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment